Lived

I was just flicking through the files and found an old sketch.
This was drawn a year ago now (May 2009), an experiment in photoshop & illustrator.
As with most of my sketches nothing is planned (well most of my sketches, sometimes there's an idea floating around up there, occasionally bigger drawings come from tiny thumbnails), the pen goes round and round creating squiggles, usually starting off as a whacked out circle.
In this case using blue 'pen' in photoshop.
Scribbles and scratches start forming images in my mind and I start seeing things, mostly heads and faces, stick an eyeball low or high on the face, then another quick stroke and there's a body.
Things get tightened up, body parts go flying to make up the rest of the composition- in other-words filling up the page.
An important part of the composition and a major design element in all my drawings and image makings are not making tangencies.
"A tangency is a point of contact between one shape and another so that they just touch without overlapping. A tangency can also happen when a shape touches the frame of the composition.
Tangencies cancel out the illusion of depth. They reinforce the flatness of a picture. They’re often regarded as a common beginner’s mistake."
Thanks to Mr James Gurney for the above text.
Check out his fantastic blog: http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/
This is one of the main reasons I sketch first, wether using pencil or light biro (or this case blue) then a heavier line to finalize a drawing.
These are a good couple of images to show you these points.
(I hope all this makes sense, it's getting a little late, I can feel my eyes drooping- but I want to do a bit more writing and maybe some blabbering on, sitting at home in the das studio all by my lonesome, I doubt anybody looks or reads this tish anyhow! and if you do maybe you'll learn something. ppfft..)

photoshop..
then illustrator....

I named this picture Lived (what's lived in rechtub klat- back to front?)